HomePoliticsMaritime Union orders workers to resume, says NLC strike suspended

Maritime Union orders workers to resume, says NLC strike suspended

Date:

Related stories

NNPP petitions EU, US, AU over Kano Appeal Court verdict

The New Nigeria Peoples Party (NNPP), has filed petitions...

PHOTO NEWS: Kano Police deploy personnel to forestall NNPP protests

The Kano state Police Command has deployed armed anti-riot...

Again, protesters march in Kano over Appeal Court election verdict

Another round of demonstrations have taken place in parts...

Jega seeks investigation into Kano Appeal Court judgement controversy

A former chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission...

The Executive Members of the Maritime Workers Union of Nigeria (MWUN) have directed their members to resume work at the nation’s seaports and oil and gas platform.

In a statement on Monday night, President-General of MWUN, Prince Adewale Adeyanju, said an agreement had been reached with government and the strike would no longer hold.

The union had earlier ordered closure of all the nation’s Seaports, Jetties, Oil & Gas platforms and Terminals in compliance with the organized labour’s directive on the indefinite strike which was to commence on Tuesday.

Recall that labour had directed its affiliate member Unions across the country to mobilise and shut down the country following the refusal of government to adhere to the seven points demand made by the NLC and the TUC to ameliorate the suffering of workers.

READ ALSO |  Group canvasses female representative to replace Gbajabiamila

Mr Adewale said during an emergency meeting between the federal government and labour leaders, the NLC and TUC jointly agreed to suspend the strike to allow for implementation of their demands.

According to Adeyanju, the National Executive Council (NEC) of the NLC had directed that all its affiliate members should direct their members to return to work.

A statement signed by Com John Kennedy Ikemefuna, Head of Media, MWUN reads in part thus: “The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) and the Trade Union Congress (TUC) have jointly suspend the indefinite strike billed for October 3, 2023 following the removal of fuel subsidy.

Subscribe To Our Newsletter

To be updated with all the latest news, offers and special announcements.

232,000FansLike
4,567FollowersFollow
13,876FollowersFollow
10,000FollowersFollow
5,453SubscribersSubscribe

Latest stories

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here