HomeTop StoryWoman in labor dies over payment alert delay in Kano hospital

Woman in labor dies over payment alert delay in Kano hospital


Related stories

UNILAG refuses to admit candidate with 326 JAMB score, explains why

The management of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) Akoka...

WAEC withholds 413 results

The West African Examinations Council WAEC has announced the...

Wema Bank gets new MD

Wema Bank Plc hereby announces Moruf Oseni as the...

Oyo Governor renames state-owned University after late Ajimobi

The Oyo State governor, Seyi Makinde has immortalised the...

Kano Governor-Elect unveils 65-member Transition Committee

The Kano State Governor-elect, Malam Abba Yusuf, has unveiled...

A pregnant woman in Kano, Shema’u Sani Labaran, has died in the Abdullahi Wase Specialist Hospital over alleged negligence from doctors as a result of the new naira policy crisis.

The late woman’s husband, Malam Bello Fancy, said her death was a result of a delay in the transfer to the bank and that the doctors didn’t attend to his wife for more than three hours.

Recall that the Kano State Government warned marketers, supermarkets, and the public against rejecting old naira notes in the state, saying it would shut down and revoke the license of any business enterprise found in violation of the act.

However, it was gathered from residents that some institutions, including government-owned filling stations and marketers, have been rejecting the old notes, including hospitals that battle with emergencies.

Speaking to Freedom Radio, Malam Fancy said he took his wife to the hospital when she was about to deliver, but that the hospital rejected his old naira notes and also had no POS, so they asked him to deposit the money in their account.

He said that although he transferred the money and got debited, the doctors on duty didn’t touch his wife, as they said they must see the alert in their account, which took almost three hours.

“My wife walked into the hospital from our house, but before they received the alert, the pains had doubled, and she was already bleeding.”

“Still, they didn’t touch her until after three hours, when they received the alert.

“After they admitted her, they discovered that she could not deliver by herself and that she must undergo an operation.”

“I agreed and paid the money, still through a transfer. It also delayed them for an additional three hours before they received the alert and operated on my wife.

“Shockingly, the baby was brought out dead, and the mother also died.”

However, the Chief Medical Director of the hospital, Dr. Rahila Garba, denied the allegation, saying the claim was not a true representation of the incident.

But other patients in the hospital confirmed the incident, saying they too encountered problems with the payment of hospital bills, which delayed services.

Meanwhile, speaking with City & Crime about the incident, the spokesman of the state’s Hospital Management Board, Malam Ibrahim Abdullahi, said they had received information about the incident and that they would commence an investigation.

He said, “We are not certain about the cause of the incident; we just got the information. But we have commenced an investigation into the matter.”

Daily Trust


- Never miss a story with notifications

- Gain full access to our premium content

- Browse free from up to 5 devices at once

Latest stories


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here